Wednesday 18 August 2010

Are they having us on????

In anticipation of my dress arriving later this week, it has got me wondering about the wedding industry and especially wedding fashion!

Although I do understand that handmade ball gowns with bustles, corsets, beading and lace can takes months to create, I am uncertain why with more and more future brides turning to sheath dresses the timeline on the order is not falling! Surely a simple dress could be available off the rack and then tailored to each bride in store?

If we take the example of some bridal designers, the succesful ones are now mass producing in China, so that is why the order takes this long, from China to Europe or the US then distributed to each country/state and then within the state to each store, this takes quite a few months and I won't even think about each party adding on their profit at each stage of the process!

So it becomes clear that the actual manufacture of these gowns takes no more than a few days, of course your choice of designer and actual design does dictate the quality of the fabric used and the finish required, however it really does make you think about the prices we are paying for wedding dresses!

All this has preoccupied my mind as I am waiting for the delivery of my dress ordered less than a week ago that was shipped yesterday a mere 5 days after making the order, can the dress really fit, really be beautiful, really have the finish that I want? And if so, is it the first of many designers to kick back against this long drawn out process?
All I can do is wait and see.........and hope!

SP

No comments:

Post a Comment