Friday 8 October 2010

Am back refreshed and raring to go!

Sfakia & Sweatwater Beach

I'm back! Refreshed and ready to write.  I was officially banned from posting anything whilst I was there by Jubbs and Sara. Now, I know I am biased when it comes to Crete but it truly is such a beautiful island and the landscape really varies.  We hired a car to drive from Chania to Sfakia, my grandmother comes from the area so we thought we would got have a look and check out a lovely beach called Sweatwaters.  Just driving over the white mountains, stopping for goats and sheep, was gorgeous but the difference in the terrain was quite awe inspiring.  Chania is a very green area, whilst Sfakia becomes a much harder landscape, dry and rocky but as you come over the mountains, the sea vista is breath taking.  Along the way there were beautiful little churches and sleepy mountain villages and along the coast line there were solitary churches on cliffs looking out over the sea.  When down at Sweatwater beach ( which is pebbled but with clear, turquoise water) I thought how awesome it would be to have a wedding there.  You have to take a water taxi to the beach and on it has a very simple canteen which serves basic food but if simple and small was what you were looking for it would be gorgeous!  I will elaborate on that idea later.

Ammos Hotel
What also became apparent on this trip was how important a stay at a well run hotel is.  We stayed at the Ammos Hotel, run by gorgeous Nikos (yes, he has been mentioned in earlier posts) and I have to say it really is my favorite hotel to date.  His team are so efficient, friendly and warm and this makes such a huge difference to a holiday.  Not only that, the hotel is situated right on the beach and has it's own taverna which serves some of the best Greek food I have eaten, needless to say I came back heavier than I left.

I am off to the designer Wedding Show today to go see what is out there for the destination bride.  I will be writing a full report of all things cool later as well as updating on places I found in Crete.

NY

No comments:

Post a Comment