Wednesday 13 October 2010

Rustic at it's best

Church on cliff in Sfakia

As I mentioned earlier I went to this lovely pebble beach in Sfakia when I was in Crete last week.  What I didn't mention was the gorgeous little church sitting atop the cliff with a 300 degree vista of the ocean.  It was magical.  Coupled with the turquoise waters of the beach this could be an amazing venue for a simple rustic wedding.  As I said in the last post, there is a small canteen on the beach which closes at around 5pm but my thoughts would be to ask whether it could stay open or if the facilities could be hired for the evening.

Sweetwater Beach

The beach is secluded and boats would have to be organised to ferry the guests to and from the area but how amazing would it be to arrive by sea in a Greek fishing boat, decorated with flowers? The meal could be barbeque style set up on the beach with simple but delicious salads. It would be awesome.  ?There is accommodation in the nearest harbour to the beach but I have not actually had a look in the hotels to be able to say how good they are.  I can say that the view from them would be amazing as they look out to sea and they are situated right next to all the tavernas.  Sfakia is also only an hour and a half away from Chania, over the White Mountains which is a beautiful drive with loads of mountain villages to stop and eat in.  It is definitely worth considering as I believe it could be a magical setting.

NY

No comments:

Post a Comment