Monday 4 October 2010

The wedding planner organising her own wedding

Today I am touching on a very personal subject that I have always been fascinated by, how a planner feels when organising her own event, be it a large party or even her own wedding!

Through investigation, it seems that most planners understand the value of what another can offer them, the peace of mind, attention to detail and just to oversee the set up and clear up on the day. Clearly, I did not take my own advice and liked the fact that I was in full control of all the planning, meaning all the anxiety and expectations of the wedding fell on to my own shoulders.

Planning a wedding does take up a lot of time, I personally need time, for the idea, theme to form in my mind, think about the venue and slowly add to the set up to create what I consider the ideal set up for the specific event. This is then teamed with finding local vendors, dealing with the paperwork, sourcing all the supplies, reconfirming the vendors, reminding them 2 days before of all the details, remind them again day before, reminding the priest two and one month before the wedding. Believe me in Greece you need to be on your toes with the vendors right up to the hours before the wedding! So it goes without saying that this causes stress and takes up a lot of time in the months and days before your wedding event!


Personally the thing that got to me was the stress of guests and vendors around me, they all constantly said that my wedding must be spectacular, what I had planned must be the best ever, however I was never planning to have the best wedding ever, I was absolutely fine with fun, cool, laid back, just a good time!

The stress of living up to other people's expectations is quite immense, and this for a girl living on an island in Greece, I cannot imagine what a New York planner must feel, with hundreds of amazing vendors, venues and ideas on her doorstep, just how do you choose? I suppose a tiny destination wedding is the most advisable solution for them too!

The moral of this short post, is to believe in your vision, when my sister arrived a few days before the wedding, I put all the carefully planned elements on the table and tried to create a mock up of what was in my mind, she looked at me as if I were slightly mad, that did rock me, thankfully there was no time to reconsider and I just put it out of my mind, certain that it would look beautiful when all put together! And it did!!! Everything looked amazing! Believe in your vision, know what you want, please yourself, you cannot plead everyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment