Tuesday 15 June 2010

A Little Help from our Friends

When Sara and I were writing the first installment in my Monday interviews we touched on how useful it can be to have local knowledge. I thought I would elaborate on this a little! Understandably the locals do not like to share their hidden secrets with tourists. I think we can all empathise with this train of thought. This said, if you spend a little time befriending them, you will find they are a wealth of information. I was very lucky, in that I spent a large amount of time in Crete sourcing suppliers, venues, accommodation and general organizing. I got to spend time with people and they shared vital information with me. I met a lovely English lady who had married a Greek and they ran a tavern called Drakiana north of Platanias. It was from these lovely people, after way too much Raki, that I found my Friday night Venue. A beautiful fish tavern situated in a suburb of Chania called Halepa. Thalassino Ageri was not only stunning but the food was positively divine and in some case managed to convert non fish eating guest to the delights of the Greek sea! Another endless source of help and information was a wonderful man named Nico. He runs a boutique hotel called the Ammos in Agii Apostoli, Chania. Not only did he help me find Sunday’s venue, which I changed to at the last minute! He also helped me find the cake and desert supplier and stored hats, lights and other design necessities for me until Sara and I arrived out for the wedding. The locals are an infallible source of information and really should be utilized to their full potential. Talk to your hotel managers. Talk to the tavern owners. They know who is top of their game in the area and Who is not. Who are the easiest to work with and who is a nightmare. Who has vision and who has not. I urge you all….befriend everyone in your wake! They will make you day the one you dreamed of and if not at least you can have a wonderful array of new friends!

NY

No comments:

Post a Comment