Tuesday 15 June 2010

Sara's wedding progress

This is my first discussion on how my wedding plannings are going for September in Kastellorizo, Greece!



Natalia: Your situation is very different to mine, in the fact that you live in Greece and also you are in the process of planning your wedding rather than it being an after though!!!!!!!  So, how's it all going? What made you choose Kastellorizo as your location Island?

Sara says: Well, I initially looked at a lot of locations throughout Greece. I looked at the pros and cons of choosing each location and finally decided that I would have to choose a place with close proximity to Rhodes. This was to enable our close friends to be able to attend, given the current economic climate in Greece.  This then limited the options down for me to the Dodecanese only, I looked at Patmos, Symi and finally Kastellorizo.

Natalia says: What size is it and if it is small are you having any logistical problems with your suppliers?

Sara says: After visiting Kastellorizo, I settled on the island, as it was so typically Greek, beautiful and tiny, so no transportation required and I found great accommodation!  There are only 120 people living there full time, there aren't any suppliers on the island, however the hotel is able to cater for the wedding which has taken a weight of my mind. However there isn't a florist, photographer, hairdresser, makeup artist or anything else on the island, however I knew this before I booked and am bringing everyone from Rhodes.  Oh and no entertainment so is bringing a small band and a DJ as well.

Natalia says: Is it a chore to organise for all the supplier s to come or not really. Is it adding to your stress load?

Sara says: Well, just a little, in that I hope everyone can get there!  However I am quite laid back and putting in back up plans in case anything falls through last minute

Natalia says: Why wouldn't they? What are the travel options?

Sara says: Just weather, if it were really windy the plane wouldn't fly and possibly the ferry wouldn't leave.  Although this is more likely to happen in mid July to the end of August. September is usually calm seas.

Natalia says: So talk me through some of your initial ideas? Themes?

Sara says: Ok, I have changed theme three times so far :) Too many options, too many ideas, I am having difficulty focusing on the theme. At the moment it is cream/white and blue any shade teamed with a little yellow.  I am trying not to be particular as I don't want to be obsessed by shades of blue and cream.  The look is going to be modern, minimal, Greek chic.  However the church is much more rustic, as I did want to bring this element into the day. The church is quite old and has never been used, it was actually never finished and is falling apart, I have been allowed to hold my wedding outside the building on the stairs, they are very old marble with flagstones. At the moment I am going to have 4 olive trees in rustic pots and two plain ivory candles as decor

Natalia says: Oh god that sounds divine!  I love the old marble flagstones they are so beautiful!  Especially coupled with the olive that is going to look amazing! So what is the reception venue like?

Sara says: I am having a champagne reception after the wedding in the square and then we will walk toward the reception for cocktail hour. The reception is a hotel with a massive terrace on the seafront
There is an incredible view and it's a simple open space with a grey and white checked floor



Natalia says: So is dinner going to be open air with the sound of the sea lapping on the beach?

Sara says: Exactly

Natalia says: How are you going to dress the reception space?  Are you having a lounge area?

Sara says: Indeed, a lounge with lovely white wicker sofas and tables, with a bar set up and the dessert bar, we will serve mojito's and caipiroska after dinner.   For the meal I have round tables of 10 or 12 guests with navy tablecloths, white chairs with covers on them and a few buffets set up around the area

Natalia says: Has the hotel provided all the furniture or are you bringing it in from Rhodes or Athens?

Sara says: I am using what the hotel is providing as the logistics of hiring and transporting the furniture wasn't worth the hassle. The chairs offend me the most, but I have been ensured there will be no bows on the back of them, so I think I can deal with plain covers!

No comments:

Post a Comment