Monday 14 June 2010

Natty's Catering Choices


Sara says: Ok, so over to the catering, what were your initial thoughts on the type of food you wanted to serve at the wedding and how was it approaching local caterers compared to those in the UK (if you have experience with them)?
Natalia says: I was always going to go with traditional Greek food. To me there was no point in going all the way over to Crete and eating what would be served at an English wedding. Lamb on the spit was a priority. Finding someone who would agree to it for up to 200 people was another thing! The local caterers differed on their reaction to me. As we have already covered the fact I am quite particular about things, it is no surprise that some of them were a little wary of me at the start. We had initial meetings with the caterers and then a food trial! The first caterer refused point blank to spit the lambs and then changed his mind once he realised I knew and loved my food! The one we ended up going with, was game from the start!
Sara says: I see this with Greeks all the time . The point blank refuse at the start and then come round to the idea as you talk with them in more detail! It's really strange!
Natalia says: I think the difference between the English caterers and the Greeks is; The English appreciate that you are the client and want what you want even if they know better. The Greeks don't really care if you want it they know better! It is your job to gently coax them round to your way of thinking and then let them believe it was their idea in the first place. Sound familiar ladies?!!!!!!!! Yes both my caterers were male!
Sara says: Exactly
Natalia says: Oh apart from the cake lady! And she agreed from the start!
Sara says: Because she was female
Natalia says: basically, yes!!!!!! She was lovely and so were her cakes and I ‘tasted’ a lot of them! Yummy!
Sara says: It really depends how modern and open the supplier is, most of them do think they know best and that there are only certain ways of approaching a job. They also think they should be able to choose what is most convenient to them rather than the client. It's an interesting concept and happens throughout Greece
Natalia says: If you have a planner or you know how to gently bring them round you will always end up with what you want
Sara says: It’s also frustrating when you try to investigate how exactly they are going to lay out and event or what process they are going to use for a specific event, they will tell you they have huge experience and everything will be great. Greek Men are simply frustrating. My main recommendation is to have EVERYTHING in writing
Natalia Yannaghas says: I agree and if they can't email you, get them to fax it! It is usually quicker! In the end I used a lovely catering company called Tzedakis
Sara says: They were so lovely, both the owners. Their main attribute was setting up the kitchens on site so all the food was cooked that minute rather than being transported which is usually what happens
Natalia says: For me they were great and they catered for the Saturday wedding and the Sunday lunch. Definitely would have been a deal breaker for me if they had not cooked fresh on site. The lamb was spectacular and the Gyro that they produced on the Sunday was out of this world. Just what the doctor ordered after a 12 hour bender! They were flexible and had a very open mind which is quite rare in Greece. Nothing was a bother and they gave us a wonderful food tasting session and one of their own homes! It was amazing.  think Jubbs was in heaven!  We also wanted loukoumades. A very controversial thing to ask for it turns out!!!! Apparently they are extremely hard to make on site because the batter doesn't like to travel!!!! Well that is what one caterer told us! Take it from me...Tzedakis batter travelled just fine and all the Greeks at the wedding said they were some of the best they had ever eaten!
Sara says: So what were the pros and cons of using a small local caterer rather than a large one from the mainland?
Natalia says: I suppose firstly the cost. It would have cost a lot more to have paid for logistics, and accommodation for all the staff coming from the mainland. I think if you are on an Island it is nice to give the work to a local. They know the traditional food of that island and also sometimes the small guys are better. Especially if you are going for Greek food. Some of the best Greek food is from recipes handed down b y generations. To be honest, Crete is a large island I so had anything I wanted there, food wise. Maybe if I had been on a smaller Island I would have been more restricted.
For me it was very important to taste the food of the caterers before I made any decisions on which I would use. Then to make them cook absolutely everything I had wanted for the wedding. It was at that point I set the menu and to be honest went on a 2 day starvation diet! Eating 2 days worth of food in one sitting kills you, especially after you have had gyro for lunch and cake tasting in the afternoon! I wanted to die.
Sara says: Oh yes, I too remember, we seemed to forget the tasting in the evening until very late in the day and then had to make room for a meal for 10. What about the set up and appearance of the food?
Natalia says: The set up and appearance was rustic! But that is what I had wanted. I checked their portfolio before and told them what presentation I like and what offended me! They were very good at listening to me! This helped! In the end there were some teething problems, nothing to do with the caterer I would like to add, but all went very well and it was delicious!

SP & NY

No comments:

Post a Comment