Wednesday 23 June 2010

Sara elaborating on her wedding theme


Natalia: What theme, if any, do you have for your wedding?

Sara: Well it is a blue, white and a little bit yellow, which is quite nautical, although I am not having any specifically nautical references except stripes. So it's a stripy wedding really!

Natalia: Was this always what you wanted or has this theme evolved from another?

Sara: It has evolved, after visiting the island, choosing the church and reception venue I realised that it was pointless trying to introduce new colours, themes that are just not suited to the venue. It was either a cream or white with blue as that is what surrounds you the entire time! I love stripes and dots, so I decided to go for a stripy theme with a little yellow added into the mix. It’s fresh which is what I wanted, to accentuate what is already in place

Natalia: How are you manifesting this theme? What details and touches are you incorporating into the decor?

Sara: This is a funny question for me today, as I am trying to find reasonably priced navy tablecloths, which is not easy! In an ideal world, I would have navy tablecloths, yellow napkins, stripy linen favours, and stripy ribbon on the invites. My centrepieces are small olive trees in buckets with lemons around the base. The bouquets will be tied with blue and white ribbon and some of my friends will wear sashes that are blue and white. I am looking at getting Niko and the best man stripy linen handkerchiefs as well.

Natalia: Will the friends be just part of the congregation or are they your bridesmaids?

Sara: Well, the best man's wife and close friend of ours will wear one, as will the young bridesmaids. Lot's of my girlfriends are choosing blue for their dresses, which I am encouraging! My sister who is the chief bridesmaid hasn't chosen a dress yet, so we are uncertain if she will wear a sash. We have only been shopping in Rhodes, which is not what you would call a fashion capital.


Natalia: Are you finding it difficult to find what you need in the whole of Greece or Just on Rhodes? The table clothes and napkins for example.

Sara: It is difficult. Not just in Rhodes but in the whole of Greece. I have found a blue fabric, but it's very bright and I am uncertain if it will look like a child's party. It is a common problem and renting in this country is a bit of a nightmare. I have tried several places today, but it will be cheaper to buy the fabric and have them sewn up than rent them. They don't seem to have understood the concept very well over here, it's almost as expensive as buying if not more. I mean who needs 20 round tablecloths after the wedding!

Natalia: Tell me more about your theme details. I love the idea of the olive trees with the lemons on the base.

Sara: Well the decor is going to be based on ambient lighting meaning many lanterns, candles and I am having tiny fairy lights in the olive trees. Actually after visiting the hotel this weekend, I really don't think it needs a lot of decorating.

Natalia: That is a very good point t make. Some venues really only need and accent rather than a full make over.

Sara: Yes, you work with what you choose. If it's a banquet hall, then more attention is needed. If it's a gorgeous garden, seaside venue then less is often more. My venue is quite large, so you either have to go ridiculous or accent it. So I am accenting. I am also creating a lounge area. This will be white outdoor sofas with a pale grey cover and stripy cushions. I will have more candles on the tables and the bar will be set up in the area



Natalia: A more chilled area to relax and chat?

Sara: Actually I want most people to move to this area after dinner. So we can continue in a more party like atmosphere. I didn't actually want a sit down meal at all, but have been coaxed into it by pure and simple logic; Guests cannot stand all afternoon and evening
We are going to cut the "cake" and have our first dance and we are giving everyone sparklers to hold for this. The dessert will be set up behind the lounge area, so in order to see the cake and eat dessert you have to get up and hopefully people will stay on the lounge side.

SP & NY

No comments:

Post a Comment