Wednesday 27 October 2010

Lambades

Images from
enkipo.gr &
Annie Angelopoulou

Lambades are a key part in the Greek Orthodox ceremony. They tradtitionally adorn each side of the table which holds the crown tray.  The candles symbolise the couples belief that Jesus is "the light of the world and whoever believes in shall never walk in darkness but eternal life".

That said, there are some hideous ones out there!  Now do not get disheartened when you google them from outside Greece and only come up with the classic organza bow specials. There are some beautiful options for decorating them and as long as you have a good florist, you will be fine. 

I have had problems trying to locate some images for you to prove this point, mainly due to my lack of written Greek and Sara is out of the country on business so cannot aid me in any way. I have managed to find 3 example for you to look at for the meantime and will work on some more for a follow up post.  I love the floral arrangement with the pom poms ( yes I know, I am a bit of a sucker for them) I think it gives the candles a different dimension and adds detail to the base of the candle.  Also the lambades with the calla lily is also beautiful and quite striking.

NY



No comments:

Post a Comment